Our busy summer is flying by, mainly because it's been chocked full of activities! The latest activity, which began today, Apple iMovie Camp-is for Kam...and secretly for me too. A few months back I reflected on how one of the things I learned this year is you never know unless you ask... Consequently, here is another example.
I was searching for a fun "camp-like" experience for Kameron to attend that was reasonably priced. At first, we looked into Lego camp (not near by and a little pricey). Then I thought, I'll google "Apple Camp"-you'll never know unless you ask. Low and behold, check out what they offer -Apple Camp for Youths! And, it's "FREE"! Imagine! So I registered Kam for the camp because he's really interested in learning how to make movies etc. He wants to design video games "when he grows up". So today was "our" first day of camp.
What I observed:
- Camp counselors that were very down to Earth, and professional yet kid-friendly
- A clean environment loaded with technology options-a retail store taking the risk to share the devices with kids
- A generous spirit of giving-each kid got a free camp t-shirt and cute name tags
- Lots of smiles on counselors' and kids' faces
- freedom to choose how they wanted to design their movies
- a risk-taking air that made the kids feel like it was going to be ok to make mistakes and ask questions (ideally how a classroom should be-thanks for the model!)
- hearing and learning that it's ok to try something new
- it's ok to ask questions
- being patient with others who aren't there yet
- learning in such a way that he could and would teach it to someone else (me :))
- using a 6 block storyboard as the basis for creating the movie
- learning how to make the music to go with the movie
- Kam taught me how to layer the instruments in "Garage Band"
- Learning together is fun!
- I am excited to go back to the Apple Store and see what we learn next...
Day 2 was just as fabulous as Day 1-now we're excited to attend "Family Film Fest" on Saturday when all of the movies will be premiered!
The Family Movie Fest Day-the only thing missing was the popcorn! Kam learned a lot and after seeing the other kids' movies, he said as much and that he wanted to try and get better at making his movies and sound effects to go with them...we'll see what happens!